Want to perform at Breakin' Convention
Here's what you need to know...
Breakin' Convention is the global festival of hip hop dance theatre that presents theatrical dance by companies and crews from around the world and around the corner. Since 2004, Sadler's Wells Theatre in London has produced and presented this critically acclaimed festival which is curated and hosted by UK hip hop pioneer, Jonzi D.
Over the past 15 years the festival has seen hundreds of performances from hip hop legends such as The Electric Boogaloos (USA), Storm (Germany), Les Twins (France), The Ruggeds (Netherlands), Junior (France), Salah (France), and Vagabond Crew (France).
From Friday 2 – Sunday 4 November, the festival is returning to Denver Center for the Performing Arts.
Do you or your crew want to showcase and represent your city?
Below are guidelines of what we are looking for from artists. Once you've read the guidelines, you can fill out an application form here.
The callout will open from 13 - 26 August and auditions will be held on Friday 7 September at the DCPA.
What are we looking for?
DANCE COMPANIES AND CREWS
We will be calling for submissions from local dance companies, crews and artists that fall within a 2-hour driving radius of the theatre.
Breakin' Convention does not want to prescribe what you should create; we love the fact that companies continue to break the conventions of hip hop dance theatre. However, there are a few criteria that are essential for companies who want to be in the festival.
We are interested in companies who:
- Are using hip hop and funk style dance techniques in a different and exciting way
- Have a vision for the future of hip hop dance theatre
- Have a story to tell or a concept to explore
- Are making a statement about life today – this may be political or social
- Are able to create an atmosphere and take an audience to another world or state of mind
Things you need to know when you apply
- Record footage of your work - ideally the piece you want to perform or if not, an example of your work. Phone footage is fine.
- The maximum duration for pieces is 6 minutes.
- If you’ve not had the opportunity to work in a theatre before, don’t worry – Breakin' Convention will light your piece for you to make your vision a reality.
- Make a note of the audition dates. We cannot accept applications if you are not able to audition at this time.
Read everything and ready to apply?
All of the companies who have performed at Breakin’ Convention festivals have been unique:
You don't need a huge company of dancers to make a powerful piece
You don't need a large set
- Companies have told stories through their performance
- Some companies have experimented with technology
- Start with your idea and remain true to it. Dare to be different.